Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Because You Asked...

Rach, I always have more favorites!

LOST SONGS

by Nina Salaman

How long the singing voices of my heart
Have all been silent! Day by day the sound
Of noisy nothings whirling through their round.
Of restless nullity has dulled the smart
Which silencing of life's whole truer part
Must cost the soul; and hour and days abound
When not one space for hearkening may be found
And not one stillness for the tears to start.

Only at night, amid the quiet rain,
Or scent of flowers, or in the full moon's sight,
Sometimes a thought comes back, and then the pain
Of some lost poem floating on the night
Brings to the heart its inmost song of again,
The weakening whisper of its old delight.



SONG OF THE MIDNIGHT FOX

by Eileen Sheehan

I will come to you
in a cloak of darkness
on a sultry night
too warm to sleep

watch for the cloud of my breath
on your window,
for the whimper of nails
on the glass.

I will lead you
past the boundary of the garden
on a zig zag path
through moonlit fields.

I will guide you
to a secret place I know of
where a warm stream feeds
a shaded pool

and as you shake the moisture
from your body
I will land you safely back
inside your head.

And when you wake without me,

don't dismiss me as some creature
the darkness made you dream:
I am real as anything
you care to touch.

Step outside, my love
inhale the morning;
you will catch
my lingering scent on the air.

No comments: