Monday, June 4, 2007

"Marni Stories"

Ok, I have a sense of humor. In fact, I make a point of telling people stories about myself...especially what my family refers to as "Marni stories". Those wonderful times when I have embarassed myself or done something really stupid. We've all been there...I just like to share these stories. In fact, one of my favorite sayings is "a woman who laughs at herself never ceases to be amused". I don't take myself seriously...or at least I try not to.

Example One: My husband and I were traveling in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. We'd left our young children with family and driven off for an overnight 'adult' trip. We're out in the boonies and drive past a small pole barn with a sign "Superior Fish Market". I scoffed and said "Good Lord, what were they going to call it?? INFERIOR Fish Market???". I was laughing until my husband quietly said: "What lake are we by?". My reply: "Lake Superior". groan.

Example Two: I had not bought a tire from a store in about 15 years. One day, I had a flat and had to go to Discount Tire. I fully expected to be overcharged because I'm a woman but I walked in and told th em size and style, checked all the fine print on the invoice and decided I was getting a fair deal. When they changed my tire, I went out and saw it and proceeded to indignantly tell the repairman: "I didn't order a BLUE wall, I ordered a WHITE wall". Very calmly, in his best imitation of a yokel, he informed me: "Mam, that thar blue wall is a protective coating and if you go through a car warsh, it's darn amazing...it comes right off! Darned if these new fangled things ain't the greatest!" I quietly shuffled to my car and drove home.

I wish I could say there are only a few "Marni" stories, but unfortunately I can't....I swear God presents with me challenges just to see how blind I can be! chuckle

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the laughs. I hope you post more "Marnie stories" in the future. Do you have enough stories to write a book? :)

MJR said...

These "Marni stories" go back to my teens....so, yes, I have enough to fill numerous books! *chuckle*